Louis H. Sullivan; Dankmar Adler;
The Jewelers Building at 15–17 Wabash Avenue between East Monroe and East Madison Streets in the Loop community area of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, United States was built in 1881/82 and was designed by Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan. It is the only example of the early work of Adler & Sullivan that survives in the Loop. It is also known as the Iwan Ries Building.
The building is a common loft building in construction and plan, but its facade departs dramatically from others of its type. An open exterior, using cast iron mullions rather than masonry piers in the central bay, and Sullivan's stylized floral ornament provide distinction.
©1998 Carl L. Thurman
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
Thurman, Carl L., "[IL, Chicago. 02] Jeweler's Building. 02" (1998). Louis H. Sullivan Structures Image Gallery. 4.
Buildings--Pictorial works; Sullivan, Louis H., 1856-1924--Pictorial works;