SPARC considers Open Educational Resources (OER) to be "teaching, learning, and research resources released under an open license that permits their free use and repurposing by others... [this can include] full courses, course materials, lesson plans, open textbooks, learning objects, videos, games, tests, software, or any other tool, material, or technique that supports access to knowledge."
The University of Northern Iowa is a member of the Open Textbook Network which sponsors the Open Textbook Library. These books have been reviewed by faculty from a variety of colleges and universities to assess their quality. They can be downloaded for no cost, or printed at low cost. UNI's Open Educational Resources (OER) collection is featured in the Digital Commons Teaching Commons.
- Geographic Alliance of Iowa Lesson Plans Sub-Collection
- K-12 Curriculum Supplements Sub-Collection
- Open Access Books Sub-Collection
- Prairie Roots: Lesson Plans Sub-Collection
- Regents' Center for Early Developmental Education Sub-Collection
- STORM Project Activities Sub-Collection