Honors Program Theses
Listen to Sound Recording
Click links below to listen to recital tracks.
Click the blue "Download" button for the text document.
- 01 Newton - Capriccio [clip; UNI access only]
- 02 Telemann - Sonata mvt.1 Andante
- 03 Telemann - Sonata mvt.2 Vivace
- 04 Telemann - Sonata mvt.3 Grave
- 05 Telemann - Sonata mvt.4 Allegro
- 06 Pilafian - Relentless Grooves Armenia Liberation [clip; UNI access only]
- 07 Pilafian - Relentless Grooves Armenia Identity [clip; UNI access only]
- 08 Pilafian - Relentless Grooves Armenia Lament [clip; UNI access only]
- 09 Pilafian - Relentless Grooves Armenia Kef Time [clip; UNI access only]
- 10 Traditional - Loch Lomond
Open Access Honors Program Thesis
Tuba--Instruction and study; Concerts--Program building;
The purpose of this thesis document is to review and assess using research the practice and performance techniques that were utilized and developed in preparing and presenting a full length degree recital. This thesis will also provide historical, cultural, and etymological context and examine the stylistic characteristics and playing techniques necessary in order to successfully prepare and perform the chosen repertoire in recital. Material from this thesis will act as the program notes for the recital itself on April 4 2017, while portions of the discussion on practice techniques and the challenges that each of the pieces presented will be used as the material for the short lecture that will accompany the playing portion of the recital. This thesis and recital will act as a chance to challenge myself and present new opportunities and methods of learning for myself and for those reading this thesis in the future.
Year of Submission
School of Music
University Honors Designation
A thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the designation University Honors
1 PDF file (15 pages)
© 2017 - Taylor Hicks
Hicks, Taylor, "A reflective analysis of the practice and performance of a degree tuba recital" (2017). Honors Program Theses. 259.
Click below to download supplemental content.02_Telemann_Sonata_mvt1.mp3 (2082 kB)
03_Telemann_Sonata_mvt2.mp3 (2884 kB)
04_Telemann_Sonata_mvt3.mp3 (1917 kB)
05_Telemann_Sonata_mvt4.mp3 (2678 kB)
Due to copyright restrictions certain audio files may be limited in length of play, may be limited to University of Northern Iowa access only, and may be unavailable for download.