The Edmund Niles Huyck Preserve is an area of approximately 470 acres, set aside for scientific study and recreational purposes in 1931, in commemoration of the interests and ideals of Edmund Niles Huyck, a prominent New York industrialist. Since that time the plant life of the Preserve has been kept free from disturbance, other than the clearing of a few paths through the woodlands. Active preservation of this area actually began in 1899 with the acquisition by Mr. Huyck of most of the land immediately surrounding Lake Myosotis. Since the founding of the Preserve, it has been the custom to have one or more resident naturalists present during each growing season. More than fifty papers have resulted from the research done here.
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science
© Copyright 1955 by the Iowa Academy of Science, Inc.
Russell, Norman H.
"Natural Forests of the Edmund Niles Huyck Preserve, New York,"
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science, 62(1), 231-244.
Available at: https://scholarworks.uni.edu/pias/vol62/iss1/26