During the fall of 1953 a study was made of the Blue Point Woods, an area located approximately nine miles southeast of Grinnell, in Section 14 of Washing ton Township, Poweshiek County, Iowa. The Blue Point forest is clearly divided into three stands, two of which are approximately the same age and older than the last. These stands are oriented in a north-south direction. From north to south, respectively, we find an old, grazed stand; a younger, cut-over stand; and a very old, undisturbed stand. The old, grazed stand is fairly open with little in the way of herbaceous and frutescent layers other than blue grass (Poa pratensis) and Ribes spp. The younger, cut-over stand is densely populated with trees, shrubs, and herbs. The undisturbed stand is made up of many large trees forming a dense canopy. The herbaceous and frutescent layers are also well developed and include many transgressives and tree seedlings. The investigation occurred so late in the year that no attempt was made to sample the herbaceous flora.
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science
© Copyright 1954 by the Iowa Academy of Science, Inc.
Dimit, James E. and Russell, Norman H.
"A Sampling Study of the Blue Point Woods, Poweshiek, Co., Iowa,"
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science, 61(1), 107-114.
Available at: https://scholarworks.uni.edu/pias/vol61/iss1/11