A tract of upland grassland, about 60 acres in extent, was purchased by the Iowa Lakeside Laboratory in 1930. This plot lies just to the north of the mess hall and dormitories of the laboratory. The property, of rough and hilly topography, rises to a height about ninety feet above the level of Little Miller's Bay on West Okoboji Lake and drains southeastward to Little Miller's Bay. Before the purchase of this tract by the Laboratory, it was heavily pastured, but had never been plowed. As the result of this grazing, Kentucky bluegrass (Poa pratensis L.) had become the dominant grass on the area. After purchase by the Laboratory, grazing was stopped on the tract, hut no other measures were taken to encourage revegetation by the native prairie plants on and around the area.
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science
©1951 Iowa Academy of Science, Inc.
Rudman, Sylvia and Pohl, Richard W.
"Vegetational Changes in Ungrazed Grassland at the Iowa Lakeside Laboratory.,"
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science, 58(1), 201-207.
Available at: https://scholarworks.uni.edu/pias/vol58/iss1/20