In 1922 Professor Charles Carter, of Parsons College, and the late Dr. L. H. Pammel, of Ames, began a botanical survey of south-eastern Iowa. During the years following, collections were made and the specimens sent to the herbarium of Iowa State College, where the headquarters of the survey had been established. After Dr. Parnmel's death in 1931 the project was abandoned; but in April, 1933 Professor Carter revived it and the authors began the collection of specimens for a Parsons College Herbarium. In the past three years they have collected and identified about 800 species of plants. The greatest portion of these collections are from Jefferson and Van Buren Counties, but some have been collected in Des Moines, Henry, Lee and Wapello Counties.
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science
©1936 Iowa Academy of Science, Inc.
Gilly, Charles and McDonald, Malcolm
"Rare and Unusual Plants from South Eastern Iowa,"
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science, 43(1), 143-149.
Available at: https://scholarworks.uni.edu/pias/vol43/iss1/19