Linn is a junction of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway, situated four miles northwest of Cedar Rapids. About one mile west of this station a rock cut, formerly used by the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway, scarps the bluffs bordering the Cedar River. At the extreme north end of the cut, 14 feet above the trackway, and about 75 feet above the level of the river, there is exposed by the retreat of a cover of yellow till and loess a surface of less than two feet square, developed on glaciated limestone belonging to the Acervularia davidsoni zone of the Cedar Valley stage of the Devonian. Although rubbed down to a fair degree of smoothness the rock was not planed level and retains something of an original convexity.
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science
©1911 Iowa Academy of Science, Inc.
Norton, W. H.
"Glaciated Rock Surfaces near Linn and near Quarry, Iowa, with a Table of the Bearings of Glacial Striae in Iowa,"
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science, 18(1), 79-83.
Available at: https://scholarworks.uni.edu/pias/vol18/iss1/16