The cell furnished us by the Battery Company was of the two fluid type. The exciter was sulphuric acid and zinc and the depolarizer was principally nitric acid. It resembled very much the G roove and Bunsen cells but differed in the depolarizer, which contained ferric sulphate. The carbon was placed inside the porous cup surrounded by 450 c. c. of the depolarizer. Outside this was 2,000 c. c. of sulphuric acid and a round cylinder of zinc. The mercury served the purpose of keeping the zinc amalgamated and also in making contact with the external circuit.
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science
©1909 Iowa Academy of Science, Inc.
Woodrow, Harry Ray
"The Googler Primary Battery,"
Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science, 16(1), 167-179.
Available at: https://scholarworks.uni.edu/pias/vol16/iss1/22